Upholstery maintenance tips
People spend a great deal of time choosing the color, fabric, and style for the upholstery in their homes. The sheer number of choices available these days is overwhelming! The furniture you eventually select is a serious investment in both time and money, and the decision should be made only after careful research into factors such as family style, maintenance, and pets. You don’t want dainty French furniture in a home full of large dogs in a muddy area. Daily and weekly maintenance are important; make sure you dry spills immediately and vacuum crumbs often. You must also protect the results of your investment with regular professional upholstery cleanings.
Preventative maintenance for your furniture
A good rule of thumb is to schedule furniture cleaning as often as you schedule carpet cleaning.
Why so often? You might not think about it, but your furniture takes a beating every day, almost as much as your carpets. Over time, this abuse ages and wears fibers before their time. Regular furniture cleanings are preventative maintenance for your furniture. Here’s how:
- Maintain the Appearance. Small amounts of dirt from clothing build up over time on cushions. Feet and even shoes find their way up there too sometimes, leaving mud, grass, and worse things behind. Drinks and snacks are often spilled on furniture, leaving stains that can ruin your investment.
- Stop Bad Smells. Upholstery surfaces are soft, which means they can absorb any odors in your home. If there has been a fire or issue with mold, it may be necessary to schedule upholstery cleaning, even if the furniture wasn’t affected. Pet odors are difficult to remove without professional equipment and products. Even the most tastefully decorated room can be ruined by a bad odor.
- Prevent Wear & Tear. You may forbid eating on the “good” furniture, but you know it happens at least sometimes and crumbs can damage the fibers over time. People don’t sit motionless on furniture; they shift their bodies around often. Children climb around, people flop down onto couches or shift positions in chairs. All this movement rubs dirt particles and crumbs into upholstery fibers, weakening them sooner and leading to tears and holes.
- Prevent Allergies. Regular cleanings by an upholstery cleaning service remove dust mites, mold spores, pet hair, and other common allergens. Less exposure to these allergens will ease symptoms like itchy eyes, sneezing, hives, and coughing. You won’t miss as much time away from work and school, or spend as much money on allergy relief medication.
- Stain Prevention. After a professional upholstery cleaning, be sure to have the technicians apply a stain preventative product. These products help repel future stains and dirt. Ask the technicians to give you complete instructions for upkeep. No product will prevent 100% of all stains from all fabrics, but a good preventative product will protect your upholstery from most common household dirt and stains and keep it looking newer longer.
Professional upholstery cleaning
Regular upholstery cleaning will keep your furniture looking newer longer, so be sure to schedule cleanings to keep them in excellent condition. Rooms that are used more often, like living rooms, are going to need more frequent cleanings than seldom-used ones like formal dining rooms. The professionals at ServiceMaster Kwik Restore provide carpet and furniture cleaning services for both residential and commercial clients in Lake, McHenry, and Kane County in Illinois and Racine, Kenosha, and Milwaukee County in Wisconsin, as well as the city of Milwaukee, WI. Clean, fresh smelling carpets and furniture can make or break someone’s impression of your home or business. We can remove dirt, stains, and odors from carpet and upholstery to make them look and smell newer longer. Our experts use hot water extraction to get deep down into fibers to remove embedded dirt and odors the first time.
We know you have to make your budget go further these days, so we help you make your furniture last longer with Scotch Guard Protection to repel dirt and stains. A small investment in preventative maintenance from ServiceMaster Kwik Restore can save you a great deal of money in furniture and carpet cleaning and restoration. We can work with you to create a maintenance plan that will keep your furniture in top shape at all times.
Professional upholstery cleaning costs
Upholstery restoration costs vary, depending on the size of the piece and the extent of restoration, the national average to clean furniture is $159 per piece.