In the Kenosha, WI, area, there are a number of families adversely affected by hoarding. In these situations, one or more individuals in the home experience a condition called “compulsive hoarding” or “hoarding disorder”.
This complex, psychological condition makes it extraordinarily difficult for affected individuals to dispose of items (anything from small knickknacks to garbage), leading to extreme clutter buildup.
At ServiceMaster Kwik Restore, we work with affected individuals to identify belongings that are not needed, and clean and restore the property to return it to a safe, livable condition.
Recognizing the Dangers of Hoarding
Many of those who suffer from hoarding disorder are filled with too much anxiety and embarrassment to seek help. There is simply very little they can do about it.
As a result, it is up to trusted friends and family members to point out the need for hoarding cleaning services.
It is important to do this if you know someone who hoards because of the number of dangers associated with hoarding. They include:
- Fire Hazards: Excessive clutter can lead to fire hazards. If a fire ever occurs, the results will be particularly devastating because of all the extra items on-site that can provide fuel for the fire.
- Allergen Buildups: Dust, pollen, and other allergens will build up in areas that are not regularly cleaned. This can lead to allergic reactions, asthma attacks, respiratory infections, and similar complications.
- Bacterial and Mold Growth: Bacteria and mold can grow in areas exposed to excess moisture. It is even more common in areas that are not regularly cleaned, and where a variety of organic food sources are available.
- Blocked Exits: Because of the sheer number of hoarded items, windows, doors, and hallways are often blocked. This can lead to disaster if an emergency occurs on your property.
- Falling Items: Items stacked on top of one another have the potential to fall onto, or trap, individuals in the home.
Restoring Your Property
At ServiceMaster Kwik Restore, we take a compassionate approach to hoarding cleaning. We make a point to build relationships and trust before beginning the restoration process.
Once a certain level of understanding has been established, we will create a plan with the affected individual and their family to remove unneeded items from the home and restore the property.
Through our hoarding cleaning services, you can expect:
- A compassionate and understanding approach to the restoration process
- Collaboration with affected individuals during the clutter-removal phase
- Decontamination of affected areas through our professional-grade sanitization equipment and methodologies
- Complete deodorization services
- The proper disposal of unwanted items (e.g. donating them, throwing them away, keeping them with other family members, recycling them, etc.)
We can also assist with dangerous biohazard materials found on your property (e.g. dead animals, bodily fluids, spilled chemicals, etc.). We comply with the rules and regulations set by the EPA, OSHA, and the Department of Transportation.
If you or a loved one suffers from a dangerous hoarding situation, we encourage you to contact our ServiceMaster Kwik Restore representatives about our hoarding cleaning services. We work with affected individuals to restore their properties in the Kenosha, WI, area.